Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Group Review of 3 Final Sketches

Group Review: Logo Design Critique Form

Overview:

In this exercise, you will display your 3 logo design final sketches from the previous lesson and you will review each others work in groups

Quick Story from Mr. Wilson:

When I was in a design class in college, I created a logo that used the silhouette of a bird. When I showed it to a classmate, they said, "What is it?" I replied, "It's a bird!" as if that was plain as daylight. The student said that all they saw were 2 crab claws. I was dumbfounded to say the least, but it is a good example of why we share work and ask for criticism, it makes our design work stronger.

Critiquing in the Classroom:

Critiquing sessions in the classroom requires conscious critiquing with guidelines:

  • The Platinum rule is: "Try to write what you think that person wants to hear."
  • The Golden rule would be nearly as good, "What YOU would like to hear."
  • Critiquing is to describe, analyze, and interpret, not to be judgemental or simply say that they do or don't like something.
  • Any critiquing should be constructive, not destructive.
  • Our work becomes stronger when other people hold our efforts to a higher level of quality and this requires the ability to accept feedback and criticism.

Critique Format:

  • Break into groups of 4
  • You should each have 3 copies of the artwork critique form.
  • Choose one person in the group to be the group leader and make sure that each student gets adequate critque time.
  • Review each others artwork, one at a time. At the end of the exercise, each of you should have 3 critique forms that evaluates your logo designs.
  • You should review the artwork and analyze the elements that work. Keep the criticism constructive and adhere to the printed form.

Critique Form:


No comments:

Post a Comment